Thank you for your interest in proposing a candidate for membership in the B & T. The process is quite simple and is outlined below. If you have questions, please call the B & T office (617-536-1870), and Manager Maria Seery or Secretary Jon Trotter will be happy to help you.
HOW TO PROPOSE A NEW MEMBER:
- Ask the B & T office for an application form, or download an application form and give it to the prospective member.
- Ask the prospective member to fill out the application form and send the completed form to the B & T office.
- Write your letter proposing the candidate and send it to the B & T office.
- Ask two members to each write a supporting letter about the candidate and send it to the B & T office.
- Make sure that the prospective member is known to at least 2 members of the Board of Governors. If the candidate does not know 2 Governors, bring him or her to the Opening Party in October, or call the Secretary who will be glad to arrange a meeting with 2 Governors.
- It is the proposer’s responsibility to make sure that the complete application (application form, proposer’s letter, 2 supporting letters) arrives at the B & T promptly. The Board of Governors will discuss complete applications only, and will consider candidates in the order that their complete applications are received at the B & T.
- “The proposer of any prospective member shall have been a Club Member for at least one full year.” (RULES: VII. ADMISSIONS)
- It is important to note that the Proposer is the primary link between the new Member and the Club. The proposer has the major responsibility to help integrate the new Member – by introducing him or her to fellow Members, answering questions, and acquainting the new Member with the B&T’s procedures, rules, customs and quirks.