In 1891 the Badminton and Tennis Club’s half-timbered building at 52 Hemenway Street in the Back Bay originally housed the New Riding Club of Boston. In 1934 the structure became a true tennis and badminton club, with 4 cork badminton courts and 2 clay tennis courts. In 1940 the Massachusetts Squash Rackets Association offered to build 12 squash courts, but the Badminton and Tennis Club declined this offer. In 1947, noting waning interest in badminton, the Club decided to set up a cork badminton court with a third tennis court on top. By 1955 the cork surface had deteriorated and was eventually removed in favor of a third permanent clay court.
-Richard S. Carroll
The Badminton & Tennis Club, a History, 2000